Hall of Honour

Revolutionary War:

William H. Gore Sr.
1753 - 1828
South Carolina Militiaman
Served under Captain Peal, Avery, and Crawford
Civil War:

Francis Ashbury Gore
1843 - 1862
Brother of William Daniel Gore
Enlisted on May 25th, 1861, 1 month after Fort Sumter
Possible rank of Corporal
Died at Gaines’ Mill, VA on 6/27/1862
William Daniel Gore
1841 - 1862
Brother of Francis Ashbury Gore
Enlisted on 5/25/1861, same day as his brother
Died at Malvern Hill, VA on 7/1/1862
Promoted to full Corporal on 11/8/1861
William Pinkney Frink
1836 - 1862
Enlisted on March, 7th 1862
Enlisted as Corporal, was demoted to Private on 5/31/1862
Mustered into ‘H’ Co. of NC 51st Infantry
Died on 12/17/1862 at Battle of Goldsboro Bridge
John Frink
1826 - 1863
Captain in 5th Regiment, FL Infantry
Commanded Co. F
Served with General Pryor, E.A. Perry, & Finegan’s Brigade
Fought in Second Battle of Bull Run & ColdHarbor
Died at Gettysburg on July 3rd, 1863
John O’Neille Frink
1843 - 1926
Enlisted on 4/23/1861 in Co. H 18th NC Infantry in Columbus County
Fought with the “Columbus Vigilantes”
Promoted to Corporal on 11/1862, promoted to Sargent on 1/1863
Promoted to Color Sargent. Held rank of 1st Lieutenant
Captured at Chancellorsville, exchanged at City Point, VA on 5/13/1863
Returned to duty, recaptured at Spotsylvania
Held as a POW on Morris Island, off Charleston for 42 days
One of the Immortal 600, prisoners used as human shields by the Union
World War I:

Benjamin J. Frink
1890 - 1951
Enlisted to fight in WWI
Served as a cook in the officer's training school in Fort Gill, VA

Obituary for John O’Neille Frink


Honored by a host of friends he made during twenty year's residence in San Angelo and by the fast thinning ranks of "the boys in Gray", with whom he served in the Civil War, Captain John O'Neille Frink, Justice of the Peace, Commander of both the Mountain Remnant Brigade, United Confederate Veterans, and its local unit, Camp Schuyler Sutton, was buried Tuesday afternoon.

Impressive services were conducted at three o'clock by the Reverend Gaston Hartsfield, pastor of the First Methodist Church at the residence of Captain Frink's son, Oscar Frink, District Attorney, 224 East Harris Avenue, with whom for many years he had made his home. The pallbearers were Hugh Storey, B. L. Trimble, J. A. Thomas, Theo P. Bell, M. L. Mertz and Penrose B. Metcalfe. Services at the grave were under the auspices of the Masons. All Confederate Veterans who were physically able attended the last rites. They placed on the grave the Stars and Bars. Selection of a successor to Captain Frink as Commander of Camp Schuyler will be considered at the next meeting.

Few of the old soldiers of the South still living, or of the host he has joined in answering the final roll call, saw more action in the Civil War than Captain Frink. Participation in the Battle of Chancellorsville, which cost the life of "Stonewall" Jackson, one of the Confederacy's
greatest leaders, and imprisonment with almost 600 of his comrades in gray on Morris Island, off Charleston, S. C. where for forty-two days, they were endangered by the shell fire of both armies and subsisted solely on corn meal gruel--these were but two of Captain Frink's stirring experiences.

He learned first hand the terribleness of war, the thrill of hand-to-hand combat, the devastation of shot and shell and disease, the hardships of fighting poorly clad and often with gnawing hunger, the poignant grief over loss of a great leader--slain through mistake by his own men--later the helplessness of being under the first of both friend and foe and finally, surrender; then the long trudge home on crutches through a country either laid waste or barren through unoccupancy. But Captain Frink also lived to play an active part in peace in the restoration of the South, which is as glorious in history as the fight by him and his comrades which
was not won.

This is a sketch of his war service which Captain Frink by request recently penciled for The Standard. It was intended to be the basis of an article on his life it follows:


"I volunteered in April, 1861, at Whiteville, Columbus County, North Carolina. We organized a company of 102 men and were ordered to Wilmington, North Carolina Infantry and did picket duty on the Atlantic coast in North Carolina and South Carolina until just about the time the seven days fight in front of Richmond, Virginia in the spring of 1862. At that time we were
upon the coast of South Carolina between Charleston, South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia.

We received orders to entrain for Richmond, Virginia. Our train was given the right-of-way by both passenger and freight trains. We landed in Richmond about daylight one morning, received orders for a force march--sometimes a fast walk and sometimes a double quick and about three
o'clock in the afternoon we were rushed into battle. We held our lines until the next morning and it rained that night. My bed was two flat fence rails, one end in the space between the fence rails and the other end resting on the ground with my pancho spread over me to keep the rain off.

From then on for seven days we were fighting nearly all the time, driving the enemy back by degrees to his gun boats. Then we went to Harper's Ferry, captured 11,000 prisoners. We then crossed the Potomac River over into Maryland and had one of the hardest fights at Sharpsburg,
Maryland. In that battle, we lost our brigard commander, General Branch. We continued our march over Maryland for a time but returned, wading the Potomac both ways.

Fought By Day; Marched By Night

We then had several battles in the Valley of Virginia. Jackson would attack the enemy in the valley and drive them back and march his army all night over the mountains and meet another advancing army the next day and drive it back. We kept that up until cold weather and before we went into winter quarters. We camped in a kert of heavy timbers and I raked me up a bed of leaves and spread a blanket over the leaves and retired, covering with blankets, etc. and spreading a pancho over these. And the next morning the snow was twelve inches deep over me. We then went into winter quarters at Gordensville, Virginia.

When the spring of 1863 opened, we started out and met the enemy at Manassas Junction. There we captured several train loads of supplies, and I was one of the men to guard them. We boys went into one of the cars and found some of the best French brandy that I ever drank. We then marched a few miles and entered the second Battle of Manassas. My command found the
enemy about sundown. I could have walked on dead men for a quarter of a mile without touching the ground.

Then came the Battle of Chancellorsville, where our idol, “Stonewall" Jackson was wounded and finally died. It was his orders that caused his death by my regiment, the Eighteenth North Carolina Infantry. We were advancing in a heavy timbered country and was ordered to fire on any advance of the enemy. "Stonewall" Jackson and General A.P. Hill were out in front of the lines, reconnoitering to see the position of the enemy and got too far out and were fired upon by the enemy pickets. They came loping back and my regiment, the 18th North Carolina, fired at them, wounding Jackson and killing several of his staff. One horse fell within three feet of me.

How Jackson Met Death

The next morning General Stewart, being the ranking general was assigned to the command of Jackson's army. He ordered a general advance. We were in the timber and as we advanced out into the open, charging a battery, and were fired upon by this battery. The color bearer and six men were shot down by this battery. My company being on the left center and I being a second sergeant, I picked up the flag and got in front of the regiment and waved the flag and called to the regiment to follow me and capture the battery. We raised our familiar yell and captured the battery. For that act I was promoted from a second sergeant to a first lieutenant.

For the remainder of 1863, we were fighting first one place and another and went into winter quarters at Moss Nock Virginia.

In the spring of 1864 the army started out and the first battle was at the Wilderness or Spottsylvania Court House. Our lines, or a part of them, were formed upon a range of hills in the shape of a horseshoe. On the morning of May 12, 1864, the enemy massed their troops upon a certain part of our lines, broke through, came upon the rear of my brigade and captured about 3,000 men. My command or regiment was a part of the captured.

I had the flag. It being a foggy morning, before we were aware of it they came down in our rear, and a large double jointed sergeant came up and demanded the flag. I not knowing what had happened looked at him and told him to get back to the rear--'you d--- Yank'. He immediately turned the butt of his gun and struck me, knocking me down. And if it hadn't been for a large pair of blankets that I had captured from the enemy, rolled up and thrown around my shoulders, he would have killed me, but the blankets saved me.

Imprisoned On Morris Island

I was then with about 3,000 others sent to Fort Delaware, Delaware and in August, 1864, a lieutenant in charge of the prison came in one morning and gave us to understand that he was after 600 officers, ranking from lieutenants to colonels, and hinted that we were to be exchanged. So he commenced calling the names out and I became one of the 600. All thought
that we were going to be exchanged, but we were landed, after about eighteen days on that steamer, it was at Morris Island in front of Charleston, South Carolina.

We were kept there for forty-two days and nights, and our only rations was three and a half pints of corn meal gruel a day; no meat, coffee nor anything else. After this forty-two days, we were moved to Fort Pulaski, Georgia until General Lee surrendered. We were sent back to Fort Delaware, Delaware. While down there I contracted the scurvy and I did not get able to travel until the 11th day of June, 1865.

I was paroled and sent to Philadelphia, thence to Baltimore and then to Petersburgh, Virginia and from there to Wilmington, North Carolina. I was then forty-five miles from home. There was a railroad past my home but it was not in operation. I was not able to walk except upon crutches and I started to walk home on my crutches. I walked about ten miles the first day and stayed at a farm house for the night. Next morning, I started out again and had to sit down to rest about 10 o'clock. While sitting there a covered wagon came up. I hailed the driver and he was man who lived about two miles from my home and I got home O. K., but walking on crutches".